Friday, November 20, 2009

Algerians...


Monday was an awesome day. I was messing around on line & then I checked the school website only to discover that my class was cancelled. Damn - that's so sad. Well it was like 70 degrees and not raining for once so we went to the park. It has a zoo in it. It was really neat to see all of the animals & the gardens - on such a beautiful day.

Tuesday - I had another French test. Not going to comment on it. There were some surprises though.

Wednesday - Another class was cancelled today - more sadness... There was a bus trip organized by the school to Beajoulais for the Beajoulais Nouveau celebration. I really wanted to go but the tickets were sold out before I could get one. Oh well. So I wen tout for dinner with some of my friends. While we were walking from Bellecour to the restaurant we noticed that there were alot of police out. Tey also happened to be dressed up in their full riot gear. Wierd but that didn't stop us from finding soething to eat. It was at a "traditional' Lyonaise buchon. I had a salad Lyonaise & a steak with some pepper sauce. It was pretty good. After dinner we went to a bar to watch the France vs. Ireland match for the a spot in the 2010 World Cup. THe bar was crowded & I couldn't really see the tv - except to see Ireland score. I left at halftime. On the way back home it became evident to me why exatly the police were dressed up... that night also the Algerian's were playing Egypt in Sudan for another spot in the wold cup. Well aparently the Saturday before when they played the Egyptians attacked the Algerians. There were 17 people killed (fans) and 3 of the players were injured from rocks being thrown at their heads. Well the match ended with an Algerian victory around 8:30. It was about 10 when I left the restaurant and before I got to Bellecour you could hear all of the cheering. There were people running in the streets with Algerian flags on. They were driving their cars all crazy in the street honking their horns and blaring their music with flags tied to their cars or haanging out the window. When we got to Bellecour -that's when it got scary. There were so many people. They were burning things in the square, they were all over the place & just yelling & being loud. Poeple were blocking traffic in their cars & standing all in the street. It was like a car wreck, you didn' want to stand there in watch but you couldn't help yourself. I decided that it was a good time to get on the Metro. I would rather get home before them :) So that's what I did.

Thursday - I heard that there were a total of 20 cars burned by the Algerians in Lyon the night before. I can't even imagine what would have happened if they lost. So today was the first officialy day of the Beajoulais Nouveau. I went to celebrate with my friends. I was told that it would be like a free pub crawl - it wasn't free & the wine wasn't that good. So we we ended up finding some cotton cavity instead & watching all of the drunk frenchies. Then it was time to go home before the Metro stopped running. All & all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment